Sunday, Jun. 17, 2007 - 9:21 p.m.

Jekyll & Hyde: Opening Night


Opening Night.  Whew, glad that's out of the way.  So, my first foray onto the stage in three years (being pregnant and having babies takes a lot of time and energy!) was not without its pitfalls.  Round about Wednesday night I started to feel ill.  Let's just say that by the time my head hit the pillow after coming home from rehearsal, my throat was swollen and on fire, and every swallow felt like a hot poker was being shoved down my gullet.  NOT a pleasant feeling.  By the next morning, Thursday, I had a full on sore throat and a slight low grade fever.  I spent the day trying to not overdo, and keep the kiddos healthy.  RIGHT before I was to walk out the door to go to final dress rehearsal Thursday night, I heard Travis choking and rushed to him, his face was turning red, and I was ABOUT to panic when a torrent of thick, goopy vomit came pouring out of his mouth.  I actually cupped my hands under his chin and caught most of it, then went right to the sink and dumped it.  You know they say that when its your own child's vomit, it doesn't gross you out?  Actually, this was right in this instance because I was not the least bit phased by it.  What worried me most was his choking, and then his being scared of what was happening.  He was really upset and freaked out, and he was upset that it got on him and his clothes.  So I stripped him down to his skivvies and plopped him right into the tub to give him a cool down (he was warm) and to clean him up.  Hubby came home just as I got him into the tub and I had to pass the baton of cleaning the kid and rush out the door.  I was already late for rehearsal.  Call time was 7:00, and it was about  6:30, and I had 30-45 minutes of drive time to get there.  

I was making good time and about to reach Loop 610 from the Southwest Freeway when things came to a SCREECHING halt.  A TORRENTIAL thunderstorm complete with spectacular lightning came rolling in and traffic came to a complete halt.  It was about 6:45 by this time.  30 minutes later I had only gone about a mile.  I spoke to my director a couple of times in the interim and he told me that the Heights, where our theater is, was flooded, but that he would see me when I got there.  I finally arrived around 8:30.  We didn't get our final dress rehearsal going until 9:00.  But it went well, and I still felt like shit.  Got home around 11:30 and hit the hay.  Slept like shit and only got about 2 1/2 hours of sleep because on my way out the door I got my ass chewed out by my director over something completely NOT my fault or doing, and had he and the other AD read an email I sent out over a week ago, he would not have gone off all half cocked on me when he had no right to do so....  but that is another story in and of itself.  Suffice it to say that the confrontation left me quite upset and I was unable to sleep.

I think I finally drifted off around 2:00 AM-ish and then woke up at 4:30 when the baby did.  And I stayed awake.  I was full on sick with fever, crap in my chest, coughing, lung goo and overall icky.  Oh, and my voice was going bye bye.  I called my mother in law sometime after hubby went to work and asked if she could take Travis for the day, seeing as HE was feeling 110% and raring to go at 6:30 in the morning, at pretty much full sprint.  That left me with just the wee baby to look after for the day.  So, here I am, opening day, sick, no sleep, half a voice, fever, sweating, coughing, lung goo.....  its all good.  We opened, I could barely talk by the time the show was over, AND learned that there had been a reviewer from the Houston Press in the audience that night as well.  Oh well, I don't expect much from them.  They never have ANYTHING good to say about anyone.  So in a nutshell, opening went well, at least the overall performance did.  But again, not without its pitfalls.  And like I said, "WHEW!  I'm glad that's over."

0 comments so far
- - Wednesday, May. 21, 2008
More updates on another blog home. - Wednesday, Feb. 06, 2008
Where are my zzzzzz's? - Thursday, Nov. 08, 2007
Halloween '07 - Friday, Nov. 02, 2007
Hallween is All Good! - Wednesday, Oct. 31, 2007